Re: [exim] Re: Replacement for match_domain in Exim 4.3?

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Replacement for match_domain in Exim 4.3?
torsten@??? wrote:

>>>You can solve your problem with an ACL statement like
>>> deny sender_domains = !+local_domains
> What does sender_domain check? The envelope or the from: field?

envelope.
You can only check the from: in the DATA acl.

>>Depends on whether "from: field" refers to the header or envelope.
> This hits pretty much where I am not sure what I need to check. Though my

Only envelope, I'd say.
E.g. some MUAs forward mails unchanged, even the From-header. And there
are headers like Reply-to or Errors-to, which overrule From.

> What is the relationship between the from: field and the envelope?

For normal mail it's the same, but in many cases they are totally
unrelated. Big example are mailing lists: They keep the original From,
but use the list software's address as envelope sender.

This is really basic knowledge of mail systems, if you don't know it,
you should go and buy yourself a book or find a tutorial on the web.