Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: V. T. Mueller
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim
Hello,

Philip Hazel schrieb:
> I originally built a cut-down version of PCRE into Exim because PCRE was
> new and not widely available. This has now changed; quite a lot of
> OS/distributions include it. In the very long term, perhaps Exim should
> be changed to use a standarly installed version of PCRE.

On FreeBSD (I checked 5.4) it's in the ports tree.

To no surprise, HP-UX does not include it on either core or apps
media or via internet express. I'm not sure, but I think I haven't
seen it on my Solaris10 box at home either.

> I do *not* want to propose that at this time (especially not for a
> 'point release'). However, there is a halfway stage. Exim has always
> included a copy of the PCRE testing program, pcretest, which gets built
> alongside Exim. I suspect that very few people discover and use this
> version. As part of installing PCRE 6.0[*] into Exim, it would make
> things easier to drop pcretest from the Exim distribution, and simply
> include the bare minimum that Exim needs.
>
> Any objections?

We usually install strictly "minimal" systems and have been happily
using pcretest that came alongside exim not only for the latter.
Well, installing it separately would be no big deal, but
nevertheless we would prefer having it available already with exim :)

Kind regards,
vt