[exim] SMTPS not working after upgrade 4.43 to 4.50

Autor: Daevid Vincent
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] SMTPS not working after upgrade 4.43 to 4.50
Please help. I run Gentoo and try to use only the stable x86 packages
for my
server. I upgraded from 4.43-r2 to 4.50-r1 as per portage's suggestion
and now
I can't SEND mail from Outlook through my server to anywhere using
SMTPS. This
worked fine earlier today before the upgrade. I don't see any readme or
other
txt that would indicate I needed to configure something. there was no
etc-update files to examine either.

checking here, i don't see any known bugs re: my issue.
http://gentoo-portage.com/mail-mta/exim/bugs

this also talks about port 465, but i'm using port 25 according to
outlook.

this chapter talks about SSL, but it's over my head.
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_38.html
like i say, this worked earlier with the lower version, so i assume my
config
files are correct.

If i disable SSL in outlook for outgoing, then i can send mail to my
exim
server (daevid.com), but can't send to anywhere else as "relay not
permitted"
[which is expected]

If i check the SSL box for outgoing SMTP (like i has always been), then
mail
never leaves outlook. it just constantly tries to send.

i can send mail using 'pine' from the server to anywhere (hence this
message
i'm sending now).

i don't see any messages in the log file ?!

i do have a firewall. did some port change now that i need to open?

here are the parameters for exim that i have in my emerge:

[ebuild R ] mail-mta/exim-4.50-r1 +X -dnsdb -exiscan -exiscan-acl
+ipv6
-ldap -lmtp -mailwrapper -mbox +mysql -nis +pam +perl -postgres -sasl
+ssl
-syslog +tcpd 0 kB

so +ssl is on.

i recieve mail just fine.

I tried to downgrade back to 4.43 and now I see the same problem!

so at the moment, no users can send mail basically and i'm dead in the
water as
we require SSL to send so that we're not an open relay. :(