[exim] CR issues and cPanel (was Re: Fw: Hello)

Góra strony
Autor: Marc Sherman
Dla: Matt Dees
CC: exim-users
Temat: [exim] CR issues and cPanel (was Re: Fw: Hello)
[Back to exim-users: Matt mailed me privately from his blackberry
account, which is not c/r encumbered, asking me why I wanted him
unsubscribed. I pointed him at [0], and he replied asking for general
faqs/howtos. Of course, he replied from the address that had the c/r
system, so I'm not at all sure if this mail will reach him...]

[0] http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/challenge-response.html

Matt Dees wrote:
> as I stated previously, I am a major newb with mail systems (thus why
> I am on your mailing list),

AFAIK, you're not currently on this list. Nigel unsubscribed you
because of the c/r system. You should disable this system, or at the
very least, whitelist all mail coming from the exim list, before
resubscribing. If you don't know what I mean by a c/r system, please
discuss this with your local postmaster/mail server admin.

> trying to learn a bit about them so I can properly evaluate what
> needs to be changed with cPanel when working with them. Can you
> point me to any good tutorials regarding MTAs & SMTP servers?

The exim documentation[1] should cover everything you need to know about
Exim. The exim FAQ[2] and Wiki[3] might be helpful as well.

[1] http://exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec.html
[2] http://exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/FAQ.html
[3] http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/

> also, if you have any complaints regarding cPanel (I noticed in your
> e-mail "cPanel keeps on impressing me more everyday :-/") please
> direct them my way and I will do what I can to get them taken care of
> :)

There was a long thread[4] on exim-dev earlier this month in which it
was suggested that cPanel's default exim configuration is rather flawed
in at least 2 ways: first, it appears to accept-and-bounce viruses,
instead of scanning and denying in ACLs, and it appears to configure the
(dangerous) auto_thaw option by default. Could you please ensure that
the appropriate person in your organization deals with that?

[4] http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-dev/2005-June/msg00020.html

- Marc