Re: [exim] before we turn on SMTP authentication...

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] before we turn on SMTP authentication...

--On 13 June 2005 09:48:25 -0400 Frank DeChellis <frankd@???> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We're using Exim 4.44 and are ready to implement SMTP authentication.
>
> Before we do, did any of you run into mail clients that DO NOT support
> SMTP authentication? What was tyour solution around that?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

I think the only real issues are:

* remember you must encrypt the session so passwords aren't exposed. Use
TLS to do this.

* some MS clients don't support TLS. For them you should provide SSL on
port 465.

* some Internet Service Providers intercept outbound port 25 - they won't
be able to authenticate your users. Offer port 587 as the standard port.
You'll need to continue to offer port 25, so users don't HAVE to change.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team