[exim] Use case for auto-thaw? (was Re: [exim-dev] Exim from…

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: Tony Marques
CC: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" bounces keep bouncing
Assumpte: [exim] Use case for auto-thaw? (was Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted:auto-generated" bounces keep bouncing)
[Moving my question from exim-dev, since this really is a user config
issue, not a bug at all]

Tony Marques wrote:

> At this point I would like to suggest that
>
> a) auto_thaw shouldn't apply to bounces
>
> or that
>
> b) auto_thaw should mandate ignore_bounce_errors_after be evaluated at
> the same time (but first) and work as designed (deleting the bounce
> after a second failure) -- (so auto_thaw 2h should imply
> ignore_bounce_errors_after 2h).

That's a good point. I wonder, though, what is the use case for
auto_thaw? Does anyone here use it for anything useful? I've been
wracking my brain for the duration of this thread trying to figure out a
use case for it that wasn't Dangerous, and I really can't.

- Marc