Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: …

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" bounces keep bouncing
On 6/7/05 10:40 AM, "Tony Marques" <tymes10@???> wrote:

> I don't operate or have experience with Exim, but I've have noticed a
> problem with several different exim mail servers (one 4.50 several
> 4.41 and probably other versions). Perhaps someone can look at this
> and determine if it is a bug in Exim.
>
> A virus spoofing my domain will send an Exim server a message which
> will initially accept the message but later tries to bounce the
> message because it finds the illicit .scr/.pif/.exe attachment, the
> mailbox is full, no such user or some other problem. So now the Exim
> server generates and sends a bounce to my server which detects the
> illicit attachment or forgery and responds with either a

It's more an error in configuration. These days, sending back an entire
message in a bounce is most unfriendly, since it's so likely to distribute a
virus to an innocent third party. We cut off our bounce messages at--I
think--10K. Newer Exims (I forget the transition point) can also be
configured not to return the body at all).

> Here is the problem, the Exim servers will retry to resend the message
> (ignoring the 55x errors) every two hours for 2 or 3 days. The
> bounce's message-id, date, other headers, and the quoted forgery all
> demonstrate that the multiple bounces are caused by a single message
> and the multiples are a result of a problem with Exim not
> acknowledging my server's 55x responses. Normally this problem
> wouldn't be noticed as bounces aren't normally seen.

In my experience, Exim doesn't do that, and I'm not quite sure what I would
do to cause it.

--John