[exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: auto…

Author: Tony Marques
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Exim from mailnull by local "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" bounces keep bouncing
I don't operate or have experience with Exim, but I've have noticed a
problem with several different exim mail servers (one 4.50 several
4.41 and probably other versions). Perhaps someone can look at this
and determine if it is a bug in Exim.

A virus spoofing my domain will send an Exim server a message which
will initially accept the message but later tries to bounce the
message because it finds the illicit .scr/.pif/.exe attachment, the
mailbox is full, no such user or some other problem. So now the Exim
server generates and sends a bounce to my server which detects the
illicit attachment or forgery and responds with either a

after DATA "."
554 5.7.1 Message cannot be accepted, virus found

after RCPT TO: fake@???
550 5.1.1 fake@??? User unknown; rejecting

Here is the problem, the Exim servers will retry to resend the message
(ignoring the 55x errors) every two hours for 2 or 3 days. The
bounce's message-id, date, other headers, and the quoted forgery all
demonstrate that the multiple bounces are caused by a single message
and the multiples are a result of a problem with Exim not
acknowledging my server's 55x responses. Normally this problem
wouldn't be noticed as bounces aren't normally seen.

Can someone determine if this is a current bug or when it was fixed
and under what condition this exists? I presume all MAIL FROM: <>
should be deleted or forwarded to a badmail mailbox after rejected
with a 55x error and not remain in the outgoing queue.

If it helps, I've noticed from the headers of the quarantined messages
that these bounces all have...

Auto-Submitted: auto-generated

Here is the header from one of the 27 identical messages recently
bounced from the one Exim 4.50 server I've encountered with this
problem...