[exim-dev] Talking point - websites, wikis and documentation

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Talking point - websites, wikis and documentation
The website for exim has never been particularly dynamic, and has been
suffering from minimal management and updates through the last year or
so as well.

I have some ideas on what I intend to do with the website, however
before I develop those further I'd like to open some discussion on the
overall subject - making sure my intentions align with what folks want
etc.

The website has remained unchanged in structure (content has been added)
and overall design since its inception way back in the 90s. Even
without doing anything else I would like to rehash it to a templated
system using CSS for layout control rather than frames and hardwired
HTML.

However there are alternatives:-
      * We could move to a dynamic based website using a content
        management package.  Not sure what this buys us for our
        requirements, however the cost is that the website will not be
        mirror-able.
      * We could reduce the website to the bare minimum and move
        everything into the wiki.

The wiki is another related issue. As an experiment it would currently
be hard to call it a success, as the number of updates being made to it
(even by me) is *really* low. Even in areas where I know simple
corrections could be made its not getting any fixes. In my opinion the
FAQ does not currently work well within the wiki - and I probably ought
to be biased towards it having done the work to move it there. I do not
feel the wiki form is currently giving us any real advantage to the FAQ
bearing in mind corrections/additions are not being made, and navigation
is probably more difficult.

This has ended up being more negative in tone than I wanted. However
what I would like to do from here is work out whats worth putting effort
into and getting a prioritised list of work that needs doing.
Volunteers would of course be welcome...

    Nigel.