Re: [exim] UNSEEN option

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] UNSEEN option
On 6/2/05 6:45 AM, "Marc Sherman" <msherman@???> wrote:

> Steven Wayne wrote:
>>
>> Yes it does, I've just tested it.
>> if $message_headers: contains "steven@???"
>> then
>> unseen save $home/Maildir/crud/
>> save $home/Maildir/
>> endif
>>
>> I ended up with two copies of an email I was bcc'd to.
>
> $message_headers will include _all_ the headers, so it will also trigger
> on a message from the target address, or a message between two unrelated
> parties with the target address in the subject.
>
> Before you try to refine your solution to only check $h_to, $h_cc, and
> $h_bcc, please read RFC 2822 section 3.6.3. Sending servers are allowed
> to strip the BCC header completely from the message before sending it,
> even to BCC'd recipients. In general, the only reliable way to do what
> the OP is requesting is to filter on the actual recipients (ie, RCPT
> TO:), and completely ignore the message headers.

That would certainly be true for us.

However, the case in point is a company operation. It's *possible* that it
is known that all MUAs involved leave the Bcc: header in place in suitable
cases. In which case it will work at least until the Next Great Upgrade.

For us, we know that most MUAs in use do strip the Bcc: header.

--John