Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs
| There's been some discussion of late on the SpamAssassin mailing list
| about spamd memory usage skyrocketing for Exim users. The current
| thinking is that the persons reporting this problem are not checking
| (and thus limiting) the size of messages being sent to spamd. I noticed
| that the spam ACL examples in the 4.5 spec don't include (or even
| mention) size checks.

It's easy enough to skip SA for big messages.

However, we're noticing a fair bit of spam slipping thru over our size
threshold. Yes, we should look to see if we can up the threshold, but
whatever the limit is, there still needs to be one, so the current setup
may be making things a bit too easy for the spammers...

Rather than simply passing the messages unscanned, it would be nice to
show the first X kilobytes to spamd, in the hope the truncated version is
spammy enough to get a decent score (which in most cases it will be).
A similar idea to $message_body_visible.

So, I think this is a feature request ;-)

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service