Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl

Autor: Mark Edwards
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl
On May 31, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

>> Now, using the cyrus_sasl authentication, an attempt to connect on
>> port
>> 25 just fails, and I have to manually configure the client to use port
>> 465 to make things work.
>
> You must have broken something else in your configuration. Is Exim
> running
> on port 25 from inetd? Or was it running as a listening daemon? In the
> latter case it's likely that you haven't restarted the daemon properly.
> You should run all you listening processes in the same way, to avoid
> confusion.
>
> This problem has nothing to do with cyrus_sasl.
>
> Tony.

Hmm...well I rolled all the way back to the old configuration and it
appears to be broken, you are right. The question is, what did I
break? I have the following in my exim configuration now:

local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0.25 : 0.0.0.0.465
tls_on_connect_ports = 465

This machine runs exim 4.51, built from the FreeBSD port.

I can authenticate with Outlook Express if I tell Outlook Express to
use port 465, but it fails otherwise.

Conversely, on another machine running exim 4.34 and a virtually
identical configuration, I can authenticate from the same Outlook
Express client without specifying a port.

I don't see any related messages in other system logs.

Strangely, the exim mainlog doesn't even register the connection
attempt when I don't specify port 465, and Outlook Express times out
with a "Connection failed" message. Does exim 4.51 handle this
situation differently than exim 4.34 perhaps?

--
Mark Edwards
mark@???