RE: [exim] DSPAM at SMTP time

Author: Dickenson, Steven
To: Peter McEvoy, exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] DSPAM at SMTP time
Peter McEvoy wrote:
> I would like to move my spam checking from spamassassin to dspam due
> to the high load averages and constant 'D' state processes I'm
> currently experiencing. The archives show a few people asking, but no
> concrete answers, so I'll ask again.
>
> Can dspam be called at smtp time with exiscan?

No, it can't. As I understand it, dspam works best in per-user, making
any type of SMTP-time implementation inconvenient at best (deferring all
recipients after the first one). If you really want to switch, check
out this posting:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20050124/msg000
99.html

Instead of jumping ship, have you tried tracking down the cause of your
problems? Are you doing size checks before sending a message to spamd,
like so:

warn
 message     = X-New-Subject: **** SPAM **** $h_Subject
 log_message = WARN: Spam flagged, score $spam_score
 condition   = ${if <{$message_size}{100k}{1}{0}}
 spam        = Debian-exim

Also, are you using this on Debian? There's been some reported problems
with the 3.03 SA package on Debian having memory leaks. Users report
that reverting back to 3.02 solved the problem.

We're running SA 3.03 on Debian (no memory leak here) on a 1GHz Celeron
with 256MB of RAM and have a relatively light load average. We run the
full battery of network tests, Bayes, and many add-in rule sets. We
only process about 1000 messages a day, though.

Try posting your issues with SA to the SA mailing list. The developers
are on there daily, as well as many other very smart people who are
terrifically helpful.

- S
---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@???>