Re: [exim] I'm flummoxed - why would mail get stuck in /var/…

Author: Cliff Pratt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] I'm flummoxed - why would mail get stuck in /var/lib/mail?
On 5/30/05, Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet@???> wrote:
> On 5/30/05, Steven Wayne <steven@???> wrote:

> > > Thanks Tony. That's got me thinking. I think it is fetchmail, but I'm
> > > not sure. I'm off to look at the fetchmail web pages.
> > >
> > > What I don't understand is - what changed? It used to work and now it
> > > doesn't! I'd not swear that I didn't change something. It's my home
> > > system, so I'm always tinkering! But I don't remember changing
> > > anything in this area. I've looked in the usual areas for hints,
> > > logfiles and so on and I'm currently mystified!
> > >

> > I haven't used fetchmail for a while ( give getmail a try ) but
> > doesn't it inject mail to localhost:25? In which case is the
> > dc_local_interfaces line in "/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf"
> > either '' or have 127.0.0.1 in it?
> >
> > What does "mailq" show?
> >
> > Steven.
> >
> Hi Steven,
>
> I think I'm on the way to solving it. (I'm currently looking at my
> global filter file). I haven't made changes in the area you suggest
> that I look at, but thanks for the suggestions.
>
> mailq shows no messages.

Solved it! It looks like an update to the exim Debian package
reversed my change from 'mail' format to 'maildir' . It was probably
my fault for allowing an update to a conf file that I shouldn't have
or making the change in the 'wrong' place in the first place. Of
course, it was a later change that I made that had nothing to do with
delivery that actually *activated* the change!

That and a change in the global filter file that I made caused the problem.

The suggestion to look at *where* the mail was delivered to
(/var/lib/mail) put me on the right track, and the mail format was the
clincher.

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to get the mail out of the
mail format into maildir format...

Cheers,

Cliff