Re: [exim] cleaning split spool file clutter

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Godfrey
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] cleaning split spool file clutter
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Godfrey wrote:

> As you can see my spool is riddled with a large number of files that have no
> purpose
>
> -rw-r----- 1 mailnull mail 1753088 Feb 11 13:29 1CzYo0-0001Np-1h-D
> -rw-r----- 1 mailnull mail 458752 Feb 14 14:06 1D0ew0-000KmB-Go-D
> -rw-r----- 1 mailnull mail 114688 Feb 22 13:49 1D3YK0-0000Hi-5i-D
>
> These files are just an example but the spool is riddled with these files.

It might be worth spending some time figuring out why this is the case,
because it is not normal. The presence of a -D file without a
corresponding -H file for any appreciable length of time indicates that
something is going wrong. Exim writes the -D file first, then the -H
file. So if, for example, Exim crashes after writing the -D file but
before it writes the -H file, you would get this effect. You don't want
Exim to be crashing...

> Does exim have a way to clean out these unused and unwanted files or has some
> one a script to clean out these files.

There is no standard script.