Re: [exim] EXIM as bacup MX vs SPAM

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Agusti, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] EXIM as bacup MX vs SPAM
At 12:16 pm +0200 2005/05/27, Agusti wrote:
>I've had the same problems for some time,
>I now use exim4 (I upgraded 2 months ago). I also liked to have mailboxes
>resident on the secondary MX server. This way if the primary server is down
>users can consult their mail on the secondary (via webmail checking local
>mailboxes). And periodically (every 5-10 minutes) the primary servers of each
>domain use fetchmail to get mail from the secondary.

[...]

I'd like to do that too.. there is one problem though. I use IMAP, of
course, so messages are left on the server. The problem is that you
want to maintain some consistency, and allow deletes at least on one
server, say the "primary".
Supposing the "secondary" only allows modifications to the "sent"
mailbox, so that sent messages can be saved there, what happens when
the user deletes messages from the "primary" server? How do you
propagate those to the "secondary"? And how do you synchronise the
status?
Perhaps this is a badly posed problem, at least with the current
tools. This is a job for a daemon that controls both the IMAP and
SMTP side of things, if such a thing, one that allows to have a
mirror mailstore, existed. (There is apparently one, a Windows
mailserver...).

Giuliano