Re: [exim] server physcial change

Author: Doug
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] server physcial change
On 5/24/05, Michael Sprague <mfs@???> wrote:
> luqman kondeth wrote:
> > newbie question
> > HI,
> > Can anyone give me instructions on how to move exim server from one
> > hardware to another. Basically we are dumping our old machines , so we
> > need to move the exim from an old server to a new one.
> > Thanks in advance
> > luq
>
> Well, assuming you're running the same version of exim, it would be a
> matter of copying over the configuration file and any support files to
> the new server. Hopefully you'll be able to test on the new hardware
> before dumping the old hardware. :)
>
> If you going to a newer version of exim, you will probably have to tweek
> the config a bit to get it working correctly. If you're talking about a
> major upgrade (exim v3 to exim v4), you should check out the website for
> advice on how to convert.
>
> thanks,
> mikeS

What if there are large mail spools involved? How would you go about
migrating data so that there is as little downtime as possible (can it
be done so that there is no downtime?)?

The new box will have the same hostname and same IP (eventually). The
new machine will be hidden behind a firewall and NATed if this helps
any.

I'm currently going through a number of possible ways out of this, but
just wondered if others have worked through similar probs?