[exim] Using CSA in Exim

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] Using CSA in Exim
Hello,

I'm installing Exim 4.51 on to a server and including the new CSA patch
so that we can test it a bit. However, I noticed in the patched NewStuff
file it says:

This implementation includes an extension to CSA. If the query domain
is an address literal such as [192.0.2.95], or if it is a bare IP
address, Exim will search for CSA SRV records in the reverse DNS as
if the HELO domain was e.g. 95.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.

By 'bare IP address' I assume something like '10.1.2.3' - no surrounding
square brackets. Surely though it is a relatievly common practice to
reject mail from those hosts using just an IP address in their HELO
command? As such, this CSA check (for a bare IP address) is not likely
to succeed unless it preceeds the usual HELO checks.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839