RE: [exim] Lsearch performance

Author: Neil Youngman
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Lsearch performance
> > There's a thread in the archive about LDAP performance vs lsearch.
> > Someone stated that lsearch was really slow.
> >
> > I'm interested in how true that is. Has anyone got any
> actual data on
> > the speed of lsearch lookups?
>
> If the file is small then lsearch should be fine. We use cdb for large
> tables, which we build from lsearch files using a Perl script. (The
> cdbmake-12 awk script that comes with the cdb utils is too shoddy.)

I was hoping for something more specific. I guess you don't have any
comparative performance figures.

When you say lsearch should be fine for small files, do you have a
threshold in mind above which I should use cdb. I'm estimating that I'll
have something in the order of 1000 lines of data, but that's a very
rough guess and it could be more.

Neil Youngman