Re: [exim] spamassassin and clamAV server specs? (somewhat o…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Martin Hepworth
To: Chad Leigh
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] spamassassin and clamAV server specs? (somewhat offtopic)
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> I run exim and am using the localscan version of callout to spamc/ spamd
> (been a while since I configured it) from Marc Merlin. I do not
> currently run any sort of AV.
>
> I am thinking of adding in a spare single CPU opteron server that may
> come available soon as a dedicated spamassassin and clamAV server to
> handle the spam and AV tasks on a handoff from the main exim and imap
> server. This is not for a lot of mail accounts, yet, but rather for
> testing of a new mail service to be launched later this year.
>
> If I reconfigure this server at all before I start this
> experimentation, I want to make sure I address the pieces of the server
> most likely to be stressed by spamassassin and clamAV. Is RAM, disk
> IO, or CPU the most important element of this sort of processing?
> Something tells me RAM is ,as spamassassin is perl (don't know what
> ClamAV is written in), but that disk is also important to be able to
> quickly read and write the temporary mail files as they come in.
>
> Any suggestions on what to emphasize on the server if I have a chance
> to reconfigure (ie, add or adjust the HW) it first.
>
> Thanks
> Chad
>
> ---
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
> chad@???

Depends on how many messages per day/hour and what size those messages are.

For example I use MailScanner on FreeBSD 4.10 to glue exim,
Spamassassin, ClamAv and Sophos together. I have lots of extra rules in
my spamassassin, use bayes, a couple of RBL's all the URI-RBL's and even
the 'experimental' black/greylist URI-RBLs.

I have a single P4(ht)2.8ghz with 1.5GB DDR and a single SATA drive.

It's not tuned, left the kernel more of less standard, but I use
softupdates (a little like journaling) on the filesystems.

It can handle about 3,600 messages per hour on an average size of 26kb.
Now given my daily average if 2,450 messages per day it's well over
spec. Oh and I reject unknown email addresses straight away which would
increase the load by about 50%.

Things to watch out for is disk i/o (esp syslog tuning this can help
alot) on the temp areas too - a ram disk can help esp on Linux. RAM is
also very important, the more the better. CPU helps but that's prob the
last area you can change easily anyway.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator