Re: [exim] Still a noob, but slowly improving. Greylisting …

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Still a noob, but slowly improving. Greylisting with SMTP AUTH.
On 5/17/05 12:53 PM, "Jaye Mathisen" <mrcpu@???> wrote:

> I've been reading on greylisting, and thinking about integrating
> it.
>
> However, one question sticks in my head, if you authenticate auser via
> some SMTP-AUTH method, then is grey-listing bypassed?

Not an issue here, as the Exim instances that customers talk to are separate
from the MX that the world talks to.

> I was also thinking about going to really short intervals. Like 5 minutes.

We use a Python daemon we wrote here (which tracks using a MySQL database).
Exim gets a simple ACCEPT or DEFER back from the daemon, and acts
accordingly. (Mostly at RCTP TO: time, but we defer the <> sender and some
others to DATA time for greylisting (to avoid issues with those doing
callbacks), and we have whitelisting in a database with fairly fine-grained
control (not quite fine enough, unfortunately)).

Keeps a lot of messages out of our system (including the new Sober), and the
drivel that the machines infected with the new Sober are now spewing out.

A process runs every 5 minutes to clean up the database.

The separate daemon is much easier than trying to make Exim make the
decisions.

--John