Re: [exim] Stop replying for rejected email

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Frank DeChellis
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Stop replying for rejected email
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:00 -0400, Frank DeChellis wrote:
> We are using Exim 4.44.
>
> How do I stop it from sending a reply to every mail rejected because of
> SPAM? I found areas in my config where it has the text that goes into my
> logs to explain why it was rejected, but not anywhere where it says to send
> email to the sender letting them know it was rejected.
>
> I would like to stop that from happening but I can't really see where in the
> config it says to do that.

Please give us some clues at least as to how its configured - the
default configuration does no content based filtering so you cannot be
running with the defaults. As there are several ways of doing content
scanning we can't sensibly comment on how you are currently
misconfigured.

The current standard way of doing content scanning is to use the exiscan
extension (part of the mainstream release since version 4.50, an add-on
patch prior to that version).

With exiscan you will have entries in your data acls something like this
(this is a reacted version of the one running on exim.org):-

acl_check_content:
  # do real virus scanning with clamav - reject matches
  deny message = This message contains malware ($malware_name)
        demime = *
        malware = *

  # list stuff & authenticated....
  accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
  accept  authenticated = *

# large messages are CPU intensive to spam scan, so we skip
# them by accepting them here...
accept condition = ${if >{$message_size}{256K}{1}{0}}

  # do spam scanning - mark up stuff
  # put score header in all messages (no matter if spam or not)
  warn  message = X-Spam-Score: $spam_score ($spam_bar)
        spam = exim:true

  # reject spam at high scores (> 8)
  deny  message = This message looks like spam ($spam_score spam
points).
        spam = exim
        condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{80}{1}{0}}

Now none of this produces bounces to the original sender for either
virus or spam messages. It does however produce a SMTP reject. This
may cause a previous relaying MTA to produce a bounce to the original
sender, but thats not my problem - I have done the right thing and
refused to accept it and indicated my refusal to the system talking to
me.

    Nigel.