Re: [exim] ignore_target_hosts

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ignore_target_hosts
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:03 +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> Has anyone investigated the operational effects of causing domains with
> any abusive MX entries (such as 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1) to fail to verify?
> For example, with the usual ignore_target_hosts settings the domain below
> will verify OK because one of its MX hosts is valid. Perhaps it would be
> better to fail to verify domains like this - though I'm not sure how to
> achieve this without patching Exim.

Yes, interesting. Perhaps using a router such as this would do?

dnslookup:
driver = dnslookup
domains = ! +local_domains
transport = remote_smtp
self = fail
no_more

Without the 'ignore_target_hosts' option but including 'self = fail' it
detects this particular instance because the lowest MX record points
back to the local host.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839