Re: [exim] Re: Unrouteable address

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: Unrouteable address
On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:22:15 +0100, Dick Middleton
<gmane@???> wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> It works fine
>>>except that I've just discovered I can't route to hosts on local network
>>>(I have have a typical 192.168 network behind nat).
>
>> The answer is in the comments to the
>> /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/200_exim4-config_primary file.
>
>> If you're routing to domains, simply add your domain to
>> relay_to_domains. Debian's exim4 packages don't ignore site local
>> addresses for target hosts when routing to these domains.
>
>That's the first thing I did that and it made no difference.

I would be interested in the output of exim -bt target_address in that
case. The Debian default configuration has two routers which route on
DNS lookups. The first, called dnslookup_relay_to_domains, relays for
domains which are listed in relay_to_domains and does not have a
ignore_target_host setting. Motivation behind that is that we want to
learn about misconfigurations of domains which we relay for (read as:
are legitimate MX for) to have that misconfiguration corrected.

If the dnslookup_relay_to_domains router declines, nonlocal mail is
handled by the dnslookup router, which ignores local host, site local
and link local target addresses.

We need to find out why in your case the dnslookup_relay_to_domains
router didn't take the message.

The modification of the dnslookup router will make you vulnerable to
arbitrary misconfigured external domains.

>> How could you possibly have missed the prominent pointers to
>> pkg-exim4-users@??? in the package documentation
>> while still finding exim-users?
>
>First thing I do in times of trouble is to subscribe to a relavent Gmane
>newsgroup.

And which "Gmane newsgroup" did you find? The one which gates
exim-users@????

In the current case, it would have been a good idea to read the
documentation which came with the software you installed.

>> relay_to_domains should have been the solution.
>
>I wonder why it wasn't.

Me too.

Greetings
Marc