Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?

Author: Stuart Gall
To: Ian FREISLICH
CC: exim-users, torsten
Subject: Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?
Hello
You can use the following config commands

smtp_accept_max = 40
smtp_accept_max_per_host = 5
smtp_ratelimit_hosts = 1.2.3.4
smtp_ratelimit_mail = 5,0.5s,1.05,1m
smtp_ratelimit_rcpt = 5,0.25s,1.015,1m

It fixed a problem I had with a particular client we host for.

On 13 May 2005, at 09:56, Ian FREISLICH wrote:

> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> is rate limiting a part of Exim in the meanwhile?
>>
>> If not, did anyone implement such a thing and would be willing to
>> share
>> his / her code?
>>
>> I found an old e-mail in the archives (dated 1999) where someone said
>> he'd
>> written some perl script to keep analyzing the Exim mainlog for that.
>
> I wrote an embedded perl function to do rate limiting (I'm not sure
> if a ${run ..} expansion is cheaper or more expensive than ${perl
> ...}, although for multiple reciepts you only have to link in perl
> once). It uses a circular buffer of timestamps to calculate the
> rate. The number of items in the buffer and the elapsed time between
> the current insertion and the tail of the buffer is used to calculate
> the rate. It supports resizing of the buffer.

Stuart Gall
Systems Administrator
No user serviceable parts inside? Ill be the judge of that!