Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Richard Clayton wrote:

| Since I'm writing : I can perhaps say something useful about failure
| rates, and that is that they're a bit subjective; in that you don't want
| to count failures to connect (or those people who think that greylisting
| is a cool thing to do)

I was assuming you look for hard fails of outgoing mail

(the ** lines in the exim main log)

I suppose this will miss mails that get soft failed at the receiving site
( the == log lines ) and there are a few sites that respond to spam/virus
with 4xx.

| At Demon there's a transfer onto a fallback system (so as to keep the
| main machine queue sizes under control) and that gives a suitable
| breakpoint for declaring a "failure" without a great deal of book-
| keeping in the log processing programs

Sorry - I'm lost now. Many outgoing spam/virus mails will fail
immediately, wheras some legit mails are delayed for one reason or
another. So I don't quite see how the fallback hosts system helps here.

Surely you need to track each message-id submitted (<=) and wait to see
which end up failing (**).