[exim] authenticate * not work

Author: Raphael Reich
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] authenticate * not work
Hi G W,

from my point of view (a debian sarge user), the acl config seems to be
correct. It means in other words:
"allow relaying from all hosts, that have successfully authenticated
themselves".

If you get a "relay not permitted", then the authentication has failed!

using debian sarge you should do the following:

1. check your config in /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth/30_exim4-config_examples

you should enable a authentication type there like:
plain_server:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
server_condition = "${if
crypteq{$3}{${extract{1}{:}{${lookup{$2}lsearch{CONFDIR/passwd}{$value}{*:*}
}}}}{1}{0}}"
server_set_id = $2
server_prompts = :

(warning: this is just an example, that allows plain text authentication)

2. check your update-exim4.conf.conf:

you have to add your domain to
dc_other_hostnames='mydomain.tld'

3. check if you have added your users to debian

you must add the users to "/etc/exim4/passwd" (see 1.)
to do this you can use the debian script:
"/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/exim-adduser"
that comes with the exim package

4. update your config:
run "update-exim4.conf" as root

5. reload the configutation
run /etc/init.d/exim4 reload"

Then try again to relay mails and report if you had success or not

Raphael