Re: [exim] Unrouteable address

Autor: Stephen Gran
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Unrouteable address
On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:30:58PM +0100, Dick Middleton said:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm new to this list so I apologise if this is a FAQ.   I use exim
>     on Debian sid with more or less standard Debian config.  It works fine
> except that I've just discovered I can't route to hosts on local network
> (I have have a typical 192.168 network behind nat).  I get Unroutable
> Address.   I can't fathom the reason, but what seems to be happening is
> that exim is looking up MX for local domain successfully - it then
> successfully resolves host for given mail server then, for some reason
> it looks up unqualified hostname - DNS refers this latter to root
> servers and returns failure.  This happens 3 times and then message
> bounces.  No attempt is made to resolve address of destination host or
> to contact destination host with SMTP.

> What it seems like is exim is trying to relay to itself in order to
> route to local hosts and ends up in a loop. However exim could also be
> responding to DNS lookup failure.
>
> I've fiddled with local_domains, relay_to_domains, relay_from_hosts and
> a few other things but cannot change this behaviour.
>
> So I don't really know if this is a DNS or exim config issue - maybe
> someone can give me a clue.

You may want to try issues specific to Debian's configuration on the
Debian exim mailing list on alioth. However, it sounds like your
problem is the ignore_target_hosts line in your dnslookup router.
|  Stephen Gran                  | What scoundrel stole the cork from my   |
|  steve@???             | lunch?   -- J.D. Farley                 |