Re: [exim] Limit number of recipients

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Limit number of recipients
On 5/6/2005 2:13, "Ron McKeating" <R.J.Mckeating@???> wrote:

> OK as the OP in this exchange I have been impressed by the depth of
> knowledge show by the people on this list. The problem that made me post
> originally is that we have some users who cut and paste a list of 1800+
> addresses into the bcc line. I would rather they used the university
> dedicated majordomo list server. What I would like to do is reject the
> message with a permanent failure and an error saying something along the
> lines of "too many recipients" nothing fancy like accept the first 100
> or so.

A potential problem with this is that some MUAs make it remarkably unclear
what the error is. Also, some users are confused even by nice clear errors
like the one you contemplate, when presented as you write it. [One would
like to think that in the university environment, the latter would be less
of a problem than with a general population of users.]

But your goal is clear, and after a brief "discussion" the method is clear
from the list replies.

You should probably try it and see what happens (I'm assuming that you try
it on a server that receives from the university population, not on your MX
server[s]). I forget whether the key setting is expanded or not (the spec
remembers, but I'm not as smart as the spec).

--John