Re: [exim] Error message: Greylisted

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users @ exim. org
Subject: Re: [exim] Error message: Greylisted
Akhthar Parvez. K wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw some posts regarding Greylisting. But I could not see the exat one that I wanted.
>
> My problem is, I have got a bounced email with the following error message.
>
>  xyz@???
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<xyz@???>:
>     host mailserver[x.x.x.x]: 450
> <xyz@???>:
>     Recipient address rejected: Greylisted. Please Try Again Later:
>     retry timeout exceeded

> Could anyone tell me if this is caused due to the problem of my mailserver. Do I have to install Greylisting
> to fix this issue? If not, what is the solution for this issue.

Check your logs for that mail. What was the time delay between
the first attempt to deliver and giving up?

If it's short then the problem is your retry configuration.

If it's long, as in some days, it's probably the remote site.
Try mailing the postmaster there; if that doesn't get through
then either the 'phone or snailmail are always options.

- Jeremy