[exim] Using smtp_load_reserve

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Using smtp_load_reserve
I have tried the following configuration to cope with the excessive
use of memory by spamd at times:

smtp_reserve_hosts = 146.232.0.0/16
smtp_load_reserve = 10000

The 146.232.0.0/16 network is our internal network and outgoing mail
does not go through the spamfilter. My goal then, is to stop
accepting mail from outside when the load average on the server grow
to more than 10.

This configuration does not seem to work, however.

I have understood that smtp_load_reserve uses the same value for load
average than $load_average which is explained in the documentation as:

$load_average: This variable contains the system load average,
multiplied by 1000 to that it is an integer. For example, if the load
average is 0.21, the value of the variable is 210. The value is
recomputed every time the variable is referenced.

Or should I use

smtp_load_reserve = 10

in stead?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live
      peaceably with all men."        Romans 12:18