Re: [exim] weird reject messages

Author: Ian FREISLICH
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] weird reject messages
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have had this 1 error coming up a couple of times on a firewall.
>
> 2005-05-04 15:16:30 1DTJjq-00016m-Mh lowest numbered MX record points to
> local host: xxxxxx.co.za
> 2005-05-04 15:16:30 1DTJjq-00016m-Mh == xxxxxx@??? R=dnslookup
> defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host
> 2005-05-04 15:16:30 1DTJjq-00016m-Mh ** xxxxxx@???: retry timeout
> exceeded
>
> The problem is this mail server handles emails for several other clients and
> when they try send email via this firewall to the xxxxxx.co.za domain they
> get this message.
>
> I think it's because the xxxxxx.co.za domains resolves to an ip address that
> the firewall has, this IP address is then natted using iptables to a
> different mail server internally. Is there any way to rectify this or
> disable exim from doing this and just to pass the mail on?

That is the problem. The highest priority MX record points to your
host, but your host is not configured to accept mail for that domain.
Maybe you should configure a router to handle this domain and redirect it at the right host behind your firewall:

smart_route:
driver = manualroute
hosts_randomize
domains = lsearch;smart_routes
route_data = ${lookup{$domain} lsearch{smart_routes}{$value}}
transport = remote_smtp

And in your smart_routes file put entries like such:

xxxxxx.co.za: host1

Ian

--
Ian Freislich