[exim] sender_rcvhost with IPv6 and helo

Autor: Paul Dekkers
A: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: [exim] sender_rcvhost with IPv6 and helo
Hi,

When the hostname in the HELO matches the real (resolved) hostname the
Received line is a pleasure to look at, even with IPv6 addresses. But as
soon as the client provides a different HELO - like the IPv6 address
instead of the hostname - the line is suddenly not so very goodlooking
anymore (and just too long I think).

    by dorsvlegel.surfnet.nl with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
    (Exim 4.50 (FreeBSD))
    id 1DTPh2-0004CZ-3S
    for Paul.Dekkers@???; Wed, 04 May 2005 21:38:00 +0200

... and you can see it's even worse since we use TLS for client authentication ;-)

I'm not really fond of altering the default Received-line, but in this
case I even think it's not really possible without using an alternative
for $sender_rcvhost. However: is there a way to improve this header in
my configuration? The above would be better I think if the "helo="-part
was just ommitted as long as the IP-adress from the HELO matches with
the real one (both IPv4 or IPv6, with or without the IPv6:-prefix), just
like when it matches the hostname.

This might be just something stupid the clients do of course (like
Thunderbird in this example), but the width of the Received header is
still exim related I think.

Paul