Re: [exim] greylist and retry configuration problems

Autor: Brian Candler
A: Paul
CC: Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] greylist and retry configuration problems
On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 12:32:18PM +1000, Paul wrote:
> *                       *               F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h
> *@TheDestination.com.au               *               F,8h,50m

> I tried other various combinations, also trying with exim -brt, none of
> which would match the seperate rule I put for the domain (or it's MX's as a
> test). Even doubling the default * rule values didn't help.

The first rule which matches, wins. See section 32.1 of the Exim spec
document:

    "The rules are searched in order until one is found where the pattern,
     error name, and sender list (if present) match the failing host or
     address, the error that occurred, and the message's sender,
     respectively."

So you need to swap them to get the behaviour you want. But in any case, you
should find the message stays in your queue (exim -bp) and is retried at
intervals. Does this not happen?

Try grepping your maillogs for the message ID.

Make sure you have a queue runner daemon (usually your smtp daemon does that
as well, if it's started by something like 'exim -bd -q30m')

Regards,

Brian.