ignore_spammers, was Re: [exim] Sporadic unroutable address

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: ignore_spammers, was Re: [exim] Sporadic unroutable address
On Wed, 4 May 2005, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> Maybe that calls for a separate thread.

recap: it's the line

  ignore_target_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8 : CONFIG_DIR/bogon-bn-agg.txt \
                         : CONFIG_DIR/ignore_spammers

in a lookuphost: router.

The background to this is in the thread
http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20050131/msg00019.html

This still "works" as well as it did before, but I haven't found
any way to then distinguish whether the rejection is being caused by
bogons or by the ignore_spammers match.

Meantime, Tony Finch presented an alternative method, in which the
spammers are dealt with in the ACL by doing local dnsdb-type lookups
and then looking-up the resulting IP against appropriate blacklists.
Reasonable enough, though it duplicates work that's evidently being
done in the lookuphost router anyway. But I think maybe it's
something we ought to try, nevertheless.

cheers