Re: [exim] HELO vs. EHLO - what does Exim send?

Author: Toralf Lund
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] HELO vs. EHLO - what does Exim send?
Nigel Metheringham wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 10:22 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>I suspect the problem is related to the fact that the server does not
>>understand the EHLO command. When presented with this command, it does
>>not return an error message, but closes the connection instead.
>>

>There isn't a completely buggered firewall in the way is there -
>something like a PIX doing SMTP fixup. If so, stop it, or take an axe
>to it.

Interesting theory... Yes, there may seem to be some weird stuff going
on; I've now tried telnet'ing (on port 25) to other more or less
arbitrarily selected servers out there - including one (it turned out)
running Exim 4.34, and none of them will accept EHLO commands. They will
typically send a "502" error code rather than disconnecting, though.

ARGHHH. I'm trying very hard not to say what exactly I think about Cisco
now. Or our ISP (yep, our main router has just been replaced...)

But, to return to one of my original questions: Am I right in assuming
that Exim will try EHLO first, then fall-back to HELO if that fails?

- Toralf