[exim] Exim not delivering to system box

Author: hesco
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim not delivering to system box
Hello:

This is a new installation.  And for some reason, exim4 is
not working out of the box.  I installed with the Debian
Sarge net-installer.  I gave /var/mail its own partition.
Its permissions are:
    drwxrwxr-x   3 root Debian-exim  1024 2005-05-03 01:23 mail

after I chown root:Debian-exim, and chmod g+w to it.

/var/spool/mail looks like:
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 7 2005-04-01 23:26 mail -> ../mail

The exim que is full of interesting mail I'd love access to,
but none of it is getting to the system mail box where I can
access it with mailx.

marcus2:~# ls /var/spool/exim4/input/ | wc -l
5572
marcus2:~# ls /var/spool/exim4/msglog/ | wc -l
2786
marcus2:~#

So I know there is mail in the que: at least a month's worth of
cron activity plus a thousand or more messages which had stacked
up on my personal email account waiting for me to get this
box configured for fetchmail. They've all been fetched now.
But I still don't have convenient access to them.

How do I get exim to deliver to the local system mailboxes?

All clues appreciated. Thanks,

-- Hugh Esco