Re: [exim-dev] exim 4.50 hp-ux 11.23 (ipf) startup problems

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] exim 4.50 hp-ux 11.23 (ipf) startup problems

Hello,

Michael Haardt wrote:
>>Thats the point. It runs fine when not being put into background. If
>>started with "-bd", it will create a pid file and a normal entry in
>>main.log - nothing in the panic log. It just goes away (exit(0)).
> How do you know if the daemon process exits with status 0? The foreground
> process certainly will, inheriting the background process to init.

I have no idea how it exits, all that is passed back is from the
parent process, which is exiting 'zero' after a clean fork.

>>The kernel moved to /stand in rel. 10. So that define is garbage,
>>anyway. There are major changes in the way kernel modules are
>>organized now in 11.23, but I doubt there lies a reason in that
>>simply because the current define has been wrong for several years
>>and noone appears to have noticed it before you did ;)
> Indeed, and Exim didn't even get as far under tusc on your machine.
> Perhaps the load calculation kills it somehow?

Maybe. What I can tell so far is the following:

- when compiled with "-Ae -O" exim -bd dies silently without
(=before) touching any log or pid file. (In a former statement
saying the opposite I was confused by entries from a debugged
exim a colleague had started almost the same time.)

- exim -bd runs as soon as the compile optimization level is
smaller than 2, that is, setting +O0 or +O1. An attempt to
selectively reduce inlining also failed, so the cause lies
somewhere in global optimizations.

A working solution for the C.06.00 compiler is to compile exim
with CFLAGS set to "-Ae -AOe". The result looks fine so far.

Kind regards,
vt