Re: [exim] content scanning with spamassassin in exim 4.50

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jason Keltz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] content scanning with spamassassin in exim 4.50
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jason Keltz wrote:

> I found a very interesting and simple way of doing what I wanted to do
> (running spamc as each user with their own preferences), but because it is so
> simple, and because there are so many people who are not doing it this way, I
> need to ask if what I am doing is good/bad and why...
>
> In both the "local_delivery:" and "address_pipe" transports, right under the
> "driver = appendfile", I simply added:
>
> transport_filter = spamc -U /tmp/spamd.sock

Bingo! Of course that is exactly the right way to do it for individual
deliveries. Why haven't people thought of that before? I don't know, but
I suspect the answer is that people are caught up on thinking of ways to
run spamc and then reject/discard the message if it is spam. Simply
annotating it (as you are doing) is clearly best done like that if you
want to have each user run with their own setting.

I will put this into the documentation somewhere.