[exim] Bandwidth shaping

Author: David Eads
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Bandwidth shaping
Hi everybody,

I'm a big-time lurker on this list, but my needs are simple. So hello,
and thanks, especially to Phil. And now I've got a question:

Has anybody done much with bandwidth shaping--particularly based on
domain name--in conjunction with Exim on outgoing SMTP?

The background: For a client, I set up a dedicated list-server that
running Debian Sarge with Sympa 4.1.5-2 for list management and Exim
4.50-4 as the MTA. They're providing list hosting to several
state-based legal services organizations here in the US. Everything is
skippy (greylisting has been great for us, I rewrote the Sympa web
templates in validating XHTML/CSS). It's been going so well that it
seems like every state now wants us to host them. The client would like
to do the hosting for free (this particular client, The Sargent Shriver
National Center On Poverty Law, is itself a national legal services
organization), but I'm concerned about bandwidth issues and am pushing
for providing free hosting but with bandwidth limitations and charging
if folks want half our pipe during peak times. Unfortunately, all of my
bandwidth shaping experience is with mod_throttle in Apache. I've never
had to do such a thing for a dedicated mail server.

David Eads
www.viewfromtheground.com