Re: [exim] Using gmail as SMTP smarthost from exim4?

Author: Amos Shapira
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using gmail as SMTP smarthost from exim4?
On 4/25/05, Thomas Hochstein <ml@???> wrote:

> Amos Shapira schrieb:
>
> > dc_smarthost='smtp.gmail.com <http://smtp.gmail.com> <
> http://smtp.gmail.com>'
>
> Did you really enter *that* in your configuration file, or is sth.
> mangling your outgoing mail?

Oh no. I suspect gmail has entered this (or maybe it happened because
I pasted the file content through the X clipboard?). I just entered the
plain
DNS domain name of smtp.gmail.com <http://smtp.gmail.com> as you suggest.

> Sending mail like this fails on connection timeout.
>
> Of course. Try
> | dc_smarthost='smtp.gmail.com <http://smtp.gmail.com>'
> instead.

That's actually what I have in my file.

I found the answer after sending the question - unlike the other guy
in the same position, I had to add a "port = 587" configuration line,
so I switched exim4 to "multiple files configuration" (though
"dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and add a "port = 587"
in /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost
and executed "update-exim4.conf". And managed to send some test
messages.
I suspect these are debian-sarge-specific steps but I hope they'll help the
next one to come along with this question nevertheless.

BTW - the first field in passwd.client ("targetmailserver") seems to HAVE
to be "*" and not a specific "smtp.gmail.com <http://smtp.gmail.com>". I
hope it doesn't mean that Exim
might try this username/password combination on other SMTP servers.

Thanks for your help.

--amos