Re: [exim] greylisting issue

Author: Craig Jackson
To: Daniel Watts
CC: exim-users, Brian Candler
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting issue
Daniel Watts wrote:

>>> This is actually quite a big issue for greylisting in general. A mail
>>> provider with 1000's of members is GOING to get email lost. Which
>>> means a lot of irate customers.
>>> I was going to use greylisting on my own box but this is making me
>>> think twice.
>>>

>> However, if this is true, the sender of that mail is going to lose some
>> anyway, when it tries to send to systems which genuinely have a transient
>> error.
>>

> although we are now guarateeing they'll lose their mail every time =)

That depends on how often you purge those that don't resend from the
table. Cron runs my script every 7 days. When you consider that most
spammers are on dhcp ip nets or grubbing for open relays, then you might
be safe running that script every 14 days or even once per month. In
that time frame, I'd say that the sender whose mail server didn't resend
will have resent his email. Bingo, he's whitelisted.