Re: [exim] Philisophical question: procmail vs sieve/exim fi…

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Philisophical question: procmail vs sieve/exim filters
On 4/18/2005 17:34, "Larry Rosenman" <ler@???> wrote:

> Philisophical question for the assembled group.
>
> I currently use a LONG procmailrc to sort my mail into folders (conditionally
> running most mail through Spamassassin via spamc).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

[I really should stop there. :-)]

You seem conversant with procmail (I am definitely not). It's not clear to
me that you would gain much from doing it either in Exim or Sieve.

If you were starting from ground zero, I would suggest avoiding procmail,
but that's only because I haven't spent the 10 years needed to learn it
successfully (successfully meaning never again dropping a message on the
floor unintentionally).

Here, our mail massaging step (in Python) uses our MySQL database to
determine sorting needs for a message (headed "inward") and adds a header
which the Exim on the mail store machine will later use to direct the
message into the proper maildir folder. The header generation happens after
any aliasing, so we use the right user's sorting rules.

Only a smallish fraction of our users use IMAP, and far from all of those
use our sorting. I use it to sort into mailing list specific folders (but I
don't need to...MS Entourage (for Mac) deals very well with mailing lists,
and that's what I use for my mailing list account--but I don't let Entourage
"help."

--John