Re: [exim] Help debugging pipe transport

Author: Jonathan Briggs
To: Jason Martens
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help debugging pipe transport
On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 10:53 -0500, Jason Martens wrote:
> I have a pipe transport set up to run a specific script, but when an
> e-mail gets routed to the transport, I get the following error message:
>
> 2005-04-14 09:07:38 1DM50L-0005dc-S3 **
> localpart@??? R=test_router T=test_transport:
> Child process of test_transport transport returned 127 (could mean
> unable to exec or command does not exist) from
> command: /usr/local/bin/testScript
>
> I've checked everything I could think of, but I can't figure out why the
> script won't execute. The permissions are 775. How can I get more
> debugging information to find out why it refuses to execute?

Usually a permissions problem. Exim runs as user mail, at least on my
system, so try:
# su -s /bin/bash mail
# /usr/local/bin/testScript

and see what happens. Depending on your pipe transport config, it could
be trying to run as some other user instead.

The other thing to try would be to change the pipe command to
strace -o /tmp/tracelog -f /usr/local/bin/testScript
--
Jonathan Briggs <jbriggs@???>
eSoft, Inc.