[exim] Any Joe Job advice?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mark Moseley
A: exim-users
Asunto: [exim] Any Joe Job advice?
No, not how to *send* them ;)

I'm curious if anybody on the list has any experience with fending off
very large scale Joe Job attacks? We're getting hit with about 75
million a day (yes, 75 million) since Saturday. I'm doubtful that
there's much I can do externally to mitigate this, but I figured it
couldn't hurt to ask the list.

Points:
* The bounces of course have a null sender.
* Our legit bounces should be coming back to SRS-encoded addresses, due to SPF.
* We're a web hosting company and the bounces are coming to thousands
of different domains we host.
* Due to being a web hosting company, though we have SPF records,
management is loathe to set them to 'strict' (aka -all; set to ?all
now to make AOL happy), since many people send mail via their ISP's
mail servers but using a From: address with the domain they host with
us. This experience however might convince them to accept the pain of
turning on SPF strictness.
* I've had to block (via 'deny' ACL) all null senders sending to
non-SRS-encoded addresses. No, this is not exactly something I like
doing, but it's better than our mail system going down in flames
(which it had been till I put in the ACL to discard these).
* The hosts bouncing to us are all over the board and appear totally legit.
* The IPs in the Received: headers in the body of bounce messages
they're sending us are also completely all over the board (I'm making
the assumption that since the bouncers appear legit, then at least the
last Received header they added is not faked).
* I'd previously done something much less draconian (back in the good
ol' days when we were getting only 5 million joe jobs a day) but
similar by looking at headers. I'd need another rack of machines to do
the recipient verification, so being able to look at headers in the
DATA ACL is out of the question. We've got about 10 machines handling
incoming mail now.

Anybody have any tips on how to mitigate this, externally? I'm
completely at a loss. I can't possibly contact all of the thousands of
companies bouncing mail to us. Is turning on SPF our only hope (and
even then, does anyone expect that it'd help more than maybe 10-20%?)?

Our totals today are about 90 million connections over 10 machines
behind a load balancer. Granted 75 million are being rejected in the
RCPT ACL. The boxes are running at a load of 15 or so pretty much
continuously (which is where I have smtp_load_reserve set).

Thanks!