Re: [exim] Exim + FreeBSD Open Mail Relay

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim + FreeBSD Open Mail Relay
On 4/11/2005 13:49, "Richard Greaney" <richard@???> wrote:

> Yes I am often a little slow on the uptake of new releases of software
> and Exim 4.x hasn't really been an exception to this rule.

OK, but from Exim's point of view (not Debian's), Exim 3 is over 3 years old
and few people here remember more than snippets about it, and even fewer are
familiar with Debian's adjustments to the normal configuration. So for most
of us, it's not that we won't help, but that we can't.

> I did
> actually try and get version 4 running on the aforementioned server, but
> had some issues with the changed configuration file format. Is there an
> equivalent of eximconfig for version 4?

Yes, it's called eximconfig.

> I can appreciate that version 3
> is no longer supported, but it would be nice if there was some kind of
> conversion tool for config file formats, rather than just saying 'this
> version is no longer supported. Now learn this before you can have a
> working mail server'.

There is a conversion script (and we used it way back when (I'm still
excising some of its comment lines). The problem from your point of view
that it is much easier to get a working configuration using eximconfig than
by using the tool and cleaning up the result.

There is a mailing list at Debian from which you should be able to get
better migration answers. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Someone else
here will pass a link along.

--John