Re: [exim] Exim + FreeBSD Open Mail Relay

Author: Richard Greaney
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim + FreeBSD Open Mail Relay
Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
> * Richard Greaney <richard@???> [20050411 05:20]: wrote:
>
>>I am having no end of trouble trying to get Exim 3 to not act as an open
>>mail relay on FreeBSD. I have set the options "host_accept_relay" and
>>"host_reject" to allow only internal network connections, and yet when I
>>connect to the server using the external interface tun0 i can send mail
>>to whoever i like, from whoever i like. It's as though it's using a
>>different configuration file, but i know it is using the correct file as
>>it stops working when i change the address of the mail forwarder.
>>
>>I have been using Exim3 for years on linux and never had this problem.
>>Does anybody know whether there are some catches to getting these
>>options to stick when using FreeBSD?
>

> Besides anything else that you've changed in the Exim configuration, I
> know of one definitive authority for using Exim on dialup:
>
> http://www.hserus.net/exim.html
>
> Just make sure you've followed that and tell us again if it's still
> an open relay.

Yes I have followed that from the word go. What I find interesting is
that the exact same configuration file, when used on Linux, closes the
mail relay but when used on FreeBSD is an open relay.

> Another thing ... we in this list quite feel that exim 3.x is
> way to off the mark (old) and looking at its configuration file will
> is a bit confusing. ;) That version of Exim is no longer supported
> so if the above fails, we may have to politely request you to upgrade
> to Exim-4.5. Why 4.5 and not any other 4.x? Because it's better for
> any problems to be fixed in the latest version than in versions prior.

Yes I am often a little slow on the uptake of new releases of software
and Exim 4.x hasn't really been an exception to this rule. I did
actually try and get version 4 running on the aforementioned server, but
had some issues with the changed configuration file format. Is there an
equivalent of eximconfig for version 4? I can appreciate that version 3
is no longer supported, but it would be nice if there was some kind of
conversion tool for config file formats, rather than just saying 'this
version is no longer supported. Now learn this before you can have a
working mail server'.

I'd appreciate any pointers you might have in this regard.

Richard