[exim] Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Betreff: [exim] Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)

We have a situation where a remote MTA (Exchange, what else) is trying
to offer us defective headers. We reject the mail, but the remote MTA
is apparently reporting incomplete diagnostic information to its user.

Consider this ACL stanza (for suitable value of SORRYTEXT):

  deny    hosts = ! +relay_hosts
       !verify = header_syntax
       message = $acl_verify_message\n\
                 SORRYTEXT

If it's relevant, I can say that we've got

smtp_return_error_details = true

I've tried simulating the situation by hand, and here's what I get:

550-Rejected after DATA: malformed address:
550-'>\n may not follow <'flavell@???:
550-failing address in "to" header is: <'flavell@???'>
550-Sorry, this is done as an anti-spam measure.
[...and so on...]

It seems that only the first line of the response is getting reported
to the (would-be) sender (and to their postmaster, who contacted me to
express puzzlement that we were the only ones rejecting this mail
item from them).

Exim version is 4.34, I'm afraid, for reasons which aren't germane to
this problem.

I would like, in the interest of better relations with such sending
sites, to put more detail of the error into the first line of the
response, in the hope of getting it reported to the would-be sender.

Comments, please?