Re: [exim] DNSBLs

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] DNSBLs
On 4/4/2005 2:48, "Drav Sloan" <holborn-exim@???> wrote:

> John W. Baxter wrote:
>>> (you
>>> might even persuade tiscali to stop hosting 419 scams - but perhaps
>>> that's just wishful thinking)
>
> As one of the admins of the mail services at UK Tiscali, I've pushed
> for a lot more active stance by the company on spam (especially as
> large percentage of the mail from our webmail service is 419 spam/euro
> lotto fraud). I personally loathe the fact we send so much crud
> to the internet as a whole.

Thank you most sincerely for this message (and your other comments in this
thread). It's nice to know that the company's working level understands the
problem.

> All I can recommend is to have a very low trust level of mail sent via:
>
> mk-smarthost-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com and
> mk-smarthost-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com
>
> as we've pointed the webmail servers to use these two smarthosts solely.

Ah...thank you. I might well try restricting the block against Tiscali to
those machines.

>> Hmmm...we put our "local" block on much of the Tiscali empire, and carve out
>> exceptions when someone goes to the URL we put in the (short) rejection text
>> and completes the form (or when we trace a support call back to the block).
>> We have about 6 Tiscali exceptions, gathered over the 9 months we've been
>> doing this.
>
> I'm sorry you've had to spend time setting all of this up, if I got my way
> the spam would of ended well over a year and a half ago when I first hilighted
> the problem, and have continued to try and get resolved since.

Actually, Tiscali was only the trigger to doing our exemptions via a MySQL
database table rather than special ACL stuff. It is so much easier to make
a new entry in the table than to mess with the ACLs. We use the same
database to carve out needed exemptions to Spamhaus blocks.