Re: [exim] Per-User Whitelisting

Author: Miles Wilton
To: Alan J Flavell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Per-User Whitelisting
>No offence meant, but what have you done about messages with multiple
>recipients who have different acceptance profiles?

That is the very reason why whitelisting with SpamAssassin is tricky.

>I don't really grasp why you say that blacklisting was simple but
>whitelisting was problematic. Seems to me that, if one is applying
>the principles right, then they're of roughly equal problematicity...

For a user/domain blacklist, I know a user doesn't want the email at
acl_smtp_rcpt time, so I can just reject the mail for that recipient. Fine.

For a whitelist (as you said above) I can't just accept the mail because
other recipients of the mail may well not have the sender whitelisted. But,
at the same time, SpamAssassin hasn't run yet so I have no idea if the
email is spam or not.

>You mean if *one* recipient has whitelisted the sender, all of the
>recipients get the mail?

No, that's the point of the $acl_m9 list, to filter out the recipients that
hadn't whitelisted the sender when the email turns out to be spam.

>I suppose it's a feasible approach (?) but we've always found it quite
>simple to reject at the appropriate ACL stage.

But you can't reject on a per-user basis from acl_smtp_data.

Miles.